“To be responsible, keep your promises to others. To be successful, keep your promises to yourself.” -Marie Forleo
This concept is exactly what Emily chats about with her friend (and personal life coach) Lauren Zander in this exclusive interview — it’s an amazing complement to our Finish Strong, Start Stronger exercise and it’s all about how to follow through on your goals and intentions. (NOTE: this was recorded in January 2018, and we pulled it out of the vault because it’s still SO relevant.)
Lauren is a bona fide expert and has built her entire business on helping people — Oscar, Emmy & Peabody winners and CEOs of Fortune 500 companies — break through the cycle of self-doubt and procrastination to actually achieve their wildest dreams.
In the interview, she talks through her recipe for success — a system of promises and consequences. Plus she walks through how to achieve what she calls personal integrity — THE thing that will lead you to reach your goals.
According to Lauren, personal integrity = when your mind, heart and actions are all aligned.
- Your heart dreams the dream
- Your head creates the plan
- And your body takes action
Some gems from the conversation:
- To achieve our real dreams, the only person who has to show up is you, for you. Shockingly, sadly, truthfully, we’re last on our own list.
- Walk your talk. Don’t try. Do.
- All of the places in your life you’re not happy with are the places you’re not keeping promises to yourself. Yet.
- Everything we don’t have in our life is because of us. Everything we do have in our life is because of us.
- The inner brat who says “tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow,” is your lower self. And the voice of personal integrity is your higher self.
- Lauren teaches how to use our addictions (social media, alcohol, etc.) to fuel our dreams vs. using our addictions as excuses.
- Resistance is fear. How fear manifests in your life is self-doubt.
Lauren is big on tough love, so buckle up! Listen to our whole conversation here.